Australian Partner Visa
Partners or fiancés of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens may apply to enter and/or remain permanently in Australia.
Partner category migration may apply to:
- People intending to get married (fiancés)
- Married (de jure) partners
- De facto partners (including those in a same-sex relationship).
Australian Married or de-Facto Spouse Visa
This visa allows you to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of your married or de facto relationship with your partner:
- On a temporary visa (usually for a waiting period of approximately two (2) years from the date you applied for the visa)
- On a permanent visa if, after the waiting period (if applicable), your partner relationship still exists and you are still eligible for this visa.
Your partner must provide sponsorship for you.
- Remain in Australia with your partner, until a decision is made regarding your permanent visa
- Work in Australia
- Study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study and will be charged international upfront full fees.
- Enrol in Australia’s medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare.
If applying on the grounds of de-facto partner you and your partner must have been in a de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application.
Australian Prospective Marriage Visa
This visa allows you to enter Australia and marry your intended fiancé within the visa’s nine (9) month validity period. Your fiancé must be one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
- An Australian permanent resident
- An eligible New Zealand citizen.
With this visa, you:
- Must enter Australia before you marry your fiancé
- May leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa expires (nine (9) months after visa grant)
- Can work full time in Australia
- Can apply for a Partner visa in Australia after you marry your fiancé
- Can study, but you will not have access to government funding.
- Can access Australia’s medical and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Partner visa.